I’ve really been into smoothies lately for breakfast. I think a good majority of it stems from the fact that they are so quick and easy but there are lots of health benefits to blending up your food and drinking it!
- If you are the kind of person that doesn’t LOVE fruits and/or vegetables, smoothies are a great way to pack in those vitamin rich foods such as kale, spinach, pineapple, mango etc. The combination of the fruits and vegetables helps mask any of the unwanted flavors from the veggies. This is something to start incorporating with the kiddos if you have a difficult time eating their vegetables!
- It does not take long to put together a smoothie and now the supermarkets make it incredibly easy by having already made smoothie packets that you just our in the blender with water, milk of choice, juice and/or coconut water.
- I know I personally do not chew my food and break it down as much as I should to help with digestion but that IS one thing that smoothies do for you! The blending actions keeps all of the nutrients in there vs. juicing and it breaks it down making it much easier for the body to absorb everything. How easy is that?!
- A lot of the ingredients used in smoothies help with skin, hair and nail health as well as immune boosting vitamins such as vitamin C.
- You can make it to cater your needs. If you need something that is a high protein drink you can easily add in proteins that help increase the protein content. If you want to keep it to just some fruits, veggies and some fats you can. By controlling the amount of liquid in the smoothie you can even make it to taste like “ice cream”! YUM :-).
This past week I was really loving my tropical smoothie:
1/4 hawaiian papaya
1/2 frozen or regular banana
1/2 c frozen mango (or fresh)
1 tsp MCT Oil
1 cup Coconut Water
1 Scoop Dolce Whey
308 calories, 26g Protein, 43g Carbohydrate, 6g Fat, 5g Fiber
You can easily upgrade this recipe by adding some powerful greens in the mix such as moringa, kale, spinach and even something like dandelion greens to assist with detoxing.
I hope you have a fantastic weekend!